Skip to content

How to Tell If Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Is Real 92.5

How to Tell If Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Is Real 92.5

If you are considering buying 925 Sterling Silver and you are new to the jewelry industry, you will certainly want to know the difference between pure silver and 925 sterling silver . Sterling silver is a popular metal used to make jewelry and other decorative items.

How to Tell If Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Is Real 92.5

How to Tell If Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Is Real 92.5

Well, pure silver is not just made of silver. It has 99.9% silver and a small content made up of other metals such as copper. Sterling silver, on the other hand, consists of 92.5% silver and the remaining part consists of copper, mainly copper. This is the reason why sterling silver is popularly known as 925 Sterling Silver or simply 925 Silver.

The reason why silver needs to be combined with other metals is that it is very difficult to make great designs with pure silver, which is very soft and malleable. A little hardness should be introduced by adding other metals such as copper. That is why jewelers are able to make the most intricate and complex designs with 925 Sterling Silver.


Why Would You Need to Learn to Count Separately?

925 Sterling Silver jewelry is certainly not cheap. A large investment is required on your part, whether you are buying sterling silver pendants or rings. But it is a worthwhile investment as its value increases over time. What is very important, however, is not to be tricked into buying fake Sterling 925 silver jewelry from “Unidentified Sources”.

This is a serious problem because many jewelers are known to sell fake sterling silver necklaces, rings, earrings, etc. Sterling silver is much cheaper than more expensive metals like gold, and yet fake imitations of sterling silver jewelry are widely sold on the market.

For example, it is common to come across silver jewelry that is sold as real sterling silver jewelry. These pieces of jewelry have only minimal silver content and are destined to deteriorate, better late than never.

Jewelry is considered fine silver if it contains 92.5% (or more) of pure silver, but pure silver is too soft to be used without any other metal. Therefore, copper and nickel are commonly incorporated to make up for the remaining 7.5%.

On the other hand, Silverplate is different from real silver because only the jewelry surface is covered with real silver and the rest of the item is made of copper or nickel alloy.


5 Steps to Help You Know If Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Is Real 92.5


Inspect all of your silver jewelry for a brand known as a “hallmark” (you may need a magnifying lens for this) . A print of the numbers “925” indicates that the piece of jewelry contains 92.5% pure silver. Other brands may be “Sterling Silver”, “Ster” or “Sterling”. The marks are usually found on larger parts of the jewelry piece, where they can be engraved.


Keep a regular magnet on or near your piece of jewelry. Pure silver is not magnetic, so if your piece of jewelry is attracted to the magnet, it is not real 92.5 silver or more. Most likely, the alloy your jewelry piece was made from has a different compositional percentage.


Another easy way to tell if your piece of jewelry is real 92.5 Sterling Silver is to compare it to an item of similar weight to the one you know is made of real silver. If the weight feels the same, your silver jewelry piece is more likely to be genuine.


This is where you have to pretend to be one of the MythBusters guys. Gather some safety glasses and gloves and wear them. Then add a drop of nitric acid to a small silver part of your jewelry. If it turns green, it is not made of genuine silver. Nitric acid is a chemical with a high copper content, which discolors non-silver items.


I left the easiest for last. Try rubbing your silver jewelry lightly with a soft, clear cloth. If black marks appear on the fabric, the piece of jewelry is likely to be genuine silver. Real silver oxidizes when exposed to air; This creates the tarnish that appears on the fabric when rubbed.

At Royi Sal Jewelry we are proud of our fine 92.5 Sterling Silver jewelry crafts. That is why for many years we have marked ALL of our jewelry pieces with a 925 mark as proof of Genuity. Furthermore, we are open to all kinds of laboratory audits and tests as proof of our quality transparency. For your next silver jewelry order, choose Royi Sal Jewelry.

PS: I like or share this article with your friends and help spread love